Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 429: Disney Facts

A friend shared this with me late last night, and based on conversations I've had today I just figured that it would be a pretty good blog post. I mean, it is Disney...so of course it works!


As I've said before, I get a lot of questions on whether or not Disney facts or true, so this isn't really a surprise to me. It makes total sense, and I really do enjoy when people send me Disney themed stuff (unless other people have sent it to me like 50 times previous). And when people do send me facts like that I always have to evaluate whether or not they are actually true. This actually happens a lot, and, on occasion, I do find something that I didn't already know. Happened just the other day actually, when my friend sent me THIS post on 27 Disney Movie Easter Eggs you May have Seriously Never Noticed. Level: Obsessed. 

There were actually four on that list that I didn't know: Numbers 6, 14, 16 and 18 (although personally I feel 18 is REALLY a stretch). It's perfectly logical for me to not notice those though, since I generally haven't watched the movies they are featured in (I should have known the Tangled one though...and I most certainly am surprised I knew about Tink in the Black Cauldron since I am not a fan of that movie). 

But what about that original fact here on this blog post? Well, I see it as about half true, and it brings up a really great point. Now, it's not super clear whether or not it's talking specifically about Magic Kingdom or not, but if it is, then it's possible it's technically correct. There aren't a lot of spots inside MK that you can see outside of it (in fact I'm pretty sure the only ones you can are the train and Splash), but throughout Walt Disney World there are plenty of places you can see the outside world. A fan favorite is generally Expedition Everest, although I much prefer the Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower. 

However, the interest aspect this brings up is the basis of HOW you get to the Magic Kingdom. Ever think about how the parking lot for Magic Kingdom is across the lake from the actual park, and how you have to take either the monorail or a boat to get there? Yeah, there's a reason for that. Walt wanted it to be, as the fact says, like you were entering an entire world, completely different from everything outside the gates. It goes right along with what we were discussing in Fairy Tales, about the concept of liminal space. It's like this grey area type thing or something like that, and an example of it would be "At the Back of the North Wind" (George MacDonald) or the Looking Glass for Alice. It's actually a really interesting concept, and something that I debated writing about on my paper for Alice in Wonderland (but I'm not writing it on that...I'm writing it on the idea of innocence instead). 

And so, if you like sending me Disney things on Facebook or where ever, keep doing it! I love getting them, and they're always a test for my knowledge, which is like a fun game honestly. 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment