Saturday, August 31, 2013

Day 243: A New Home?

I often credit Walt Disney World as my home. Many call it their second home, but to me, it isn't even that. It is, in every way, my home. But what then, do I call my house and "home" back here in Wisconsin, and now with the addition of my dorm room here at college, what do I refer to now as "home."

I suppose it's fine to call more than one place home. When I'm at college I call my house in Seymour my home. You refer to it as "I'm going home for the weekend" or something like that. In fact, today I'm about to go home for the weekend. Back to my house with my family and my bedroom and my cat. I'll be there till Monday, but I do wonder what I'm going to feel like part way through that when I'm not necessarily "home" anymore. It's weird to feel like a guest in the place that was your home for the last 18 years.

And then there's just that, my dorm room. Recently I've been finding myself saying I'm going home to my dorm. Just naturally. Like I just automatically say I'm going home to that space now. Just is nice, and a large portion of me does consider this my new home. I live here, I sleep here, I eat here, I do my work here. I blog here. This is, in the reality point of view, my home now. And I'm good with that. I absolutely adore college!

But where does that leave Disney? My brother and I are very adamant about calling it home. When we are headed to Walt Disney World we say "We're going home," and when we get there, cast members welcome us with nothing less than "Welcome Home." And when we leave, we never say we're going home, but instead that we're going on vacation. For a really really long time. I guess that doesn't necessarily fit the definition of "vacation" though, because generally that's a retreat from everyday life, when here this obviously isn't the case.

So do I have three homes? I guess the best way to decide which is true is the saying "Home is where the heart is." This actually occurred to me almost a year ago now. In the Christmas version of Wishes, they do mention that Home is where the heart is, and you know, my heart is and always will be at Walt Disney World. I've talked about it before, and in the end, that means that Disney World is always my home.

Here's today's Disney History: 2009: The Walt Disney Company announces that it is buying Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion. Marvel Entertainment, Inc. is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a library of over 5,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years.

Have a magical day!




No comments:

Post a Comment