Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 560: Sentimental After All

To be quite honest, it's been months since the band trip. Just this week I was spending a good amount of time working on the band trip video (which as you already know is a larger undertaking than maybe I initially intended), and the thought came to me that there's a good portion of me that doesn't even realize anything happened.

The band trip video is long, it's going to be long, it's taking a long time to edit. It's just...long. Now, that doesn't mean that it won't be spectacular, because I certainly strive to outdo myself every time I get my hands on a new project regardless of the time and effort it's going to take to do that, and I do hope that the band enjoys the final product...even if it takes me months to edit. But that editing does take time, whether or not there is an extreme emotional attachment and connection to the project or not. When you add that connection in though, that's when things get crazy difficult.

I know I tweeted the other day about this particular project, saying "Trying to edit this video is so difficult for me due to the extreme range of emotions involved. Anger, happiness, pride, heartbreak." And it is difficult. There's a lot that went on behind the scenes of that trip, things you won't see in the vlogs that will hopefully be coming out before the end of the month (October), and things that some people, a lot of people, didn't even experience or realize.

Now, I make a serious effort in life to not hold grudges. The world is already filled with so much hate that it seems pointless to add more negativity to that. But it sure seems to me that no matter how much we attempt to let go of that hate, there's a certain percentage of it that continues to stick with us long after the situation has burned down. And when the people that caused you pain pop up on things like that video, it makes it harder to work on.

In the end, though, I guess I'm still pretty sentimental about the entire trip. It's changed me in more ways than one, and it gave me a chance to bring my best friends home (and to encourage them to return...gosh that's weird!) And no matter what happened with everyone backstage, I still have pictures from the trip covering my desk. Maybe it's not the same group of people previously in those frames, and maybe not every memory involving the trip is a happy one, but when something like that happens you have to remember it for the good moments instead of the bad. You have to edit all the video in a positive light, including everyone and as much of everything as possible, because that's what's going to make an impressive outcome. And that's certainly what I'm striving to do with this band trip video.

I hope to accomplish that (and I guess this is like a little bit of a pep talk for me). At least, I hope to accomplish it if I can ever figure out a way to include everything that needs to be included!

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on October 10).

No comments:

Post a Comment