Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 32: Illuminations

This week Illuminations celebrates 25 years...which I have to say, is pretty impressive. I've grown up with the show myself...and honestly can't think of a better fireworks display in the entire world.

I remember this one time when I was much younger. My parents took my brother and I to a fireworks thing not far from our home, and I didn't want to go. I distinctly remember using the excuse of "It's not like Illuminations!" and what happened...the FIRST display (it was a bunch of different ones put together), used Illuminations music. It wasn't as good of course...but still!

And then there was the Cassette tape. Oh yes...the cassette tape. But it wasn't just any cassette tape...it was my Illuminations cassette tape, and we played it in our van every time we went somewhere for many years. I don't think it mattered where we went...it was playing. It's probably the reason I know the music by heart and my friends look at me funny when I do these little actions to go along with it.

A few weeks ago I was listening to it on my car ride into school for Jazz Band, and I pick up one of my friends on the way. It was towards the end, and I was very carefully telling her what was going on in the show based on the music. "So now there's this globe floating out on the water, and it's slowly opening, and now...wait for it...there! Fireworks shoot from the center of the globe. And now it's shooting in opposite directions. And now everything stops. Single firework. More...and boom boom boom...." Yeah. She was kind of freaked out that I knew the show that well.

But either way, I'd like to wish my favorite fireworks show a happy 25th birthday...and may it amaze many more people in the future. I'm not sure what my childhood would be like without this show...so I'm glad it's still around. =)

Here's today's Disney History: 1998: The "25" is removed from Epcot's Illuminations 25 (as Disney World's 25th anniversary celebration has ended) the same day Illuminations 98 debuts.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment