Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 589: Never Had a Friend Like You

It isn't often that we come across an event that basically stops the world from running. One where it makes us all slow down and think about our lives and those we love and, in this case, our childhoods. Some of the more prominent world stopping stories include 9/11, or Pearl Harbor or the death of JFK. More recently we could probably say we all know what we were doing when we heard about the death of Michael Jackson, and now we can, sadly, add another name to that list.

If it's any indication as to how much I personally loved Robin Williams, here's a bit of a clue. My all time favorite actor isn't Colin O'Donoghue, much as you might think, but rather Harrison Ford. I have at least 12 of his films in my personal collection apart from Star Wars and Indiana Jones, meaning that I have more of his movies than I have of any other actor. But Robin Williams comes in second, with at least 5 that I can think of off the top of my head, and I intend to include at least two more as soon as possible, favorites that I loved to watch on television but never got around to adding to my collection.

Over a year ago, a different actor's death broke headlines, that of Cory Monteith. I happen to remember where I was when that story broke as well, although I think it would be pretty easy to remember I was at Disney. And I remember the date because it also happens to be Harrison Ford's birthday. But that honestly didn't affect me like this news has. Some of my friends talk about how Cory's death DID affect them more, but for me, Robin Williams was that guy that I think we all kind of thought would live forever. He brought us all so much joy, and I can't help but smile every single time I'm on the Great Movie Ride and he says "Good Morning Vietnam." I know I'll probably end up crying next time I go on it.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what to say. Robin was a great man, always making us laugh, and it breaks my heart to know that he wasn't laughing with us. But I did read a really great tweet yesterday that said "If there's any thunder tonight it's just Robin Williams making God laugh," and I like to think that, if there was thunder last night, that was the case.

The world lost a legend yesterday, and so I encourage you all to go out and watch your favorite Robin Williams movie. Mine happens to be Hook, with Robin playing the good old bangarang Peter Pan, although there are plenty of movies out there of his that I love and adore. Whether I'll be able to get through any of them without crying, I don't know, but it's just still heartbreaking. I remember saying that although my least favorite Disney movie is Aladdin, there's one thing I loved about it, and that was Robin Williams. The only thing that made that movie watchable for me. Because to be truthful, he was one of a kind.



And we'll never have a friend like him again.

Carpe Diem everyone.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment