Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Day 709: Heaven & HellFire

Within the music department, we tend to all help one another out. Whether that means running scales with each other or turning pages for an accompanist, we make things work. I help a lot with the latter, as one of my good friends, Jessica, is a Piano Performance major, meaning that she accompanies a ton of different students. I turned pages for her during one of my best friend's recitals a while back and I turned pages for her during juries too. If you don't know what a jury is, I'll explain real quick. Basically, as music majors, the most accurate way to test our work and progress is by a live performance, so we play or sing for several of the music professors, who then give us a grade for our semester. It's nerve wrecking, always, and has us all freaking out all semester.

Regardless, turning pages is a much calmer experience, as you just have to sit and listen to music while turning a page for the piano player every once and a while. I love doing it. I love hearing other students perform. It's fun and awesome to see what they've accomplished, and if I can help Jessica out in any way, I'm going to do it.

This year, I was fortunate to sit in on a jury where a song from The Hunchback of Notre Dame was performed, Heaven's Light & HellFire. The song is a sort of duet between Quasimodo and Frollo, and since Hunchback is one of my all time favorite Disney movies (my personal favorite for the music!), it was a complete pleasure and honor to sit in on the jury, and the performance was spectacular.

Here's the song if you want to listen to the version from the film:


Now I really want to watch Hunchback, but sadly I really don't have time for that. After all, there's more blog posts to write and more video to edit!

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on December 26 due to finals & holidays!)

No comments:

Post a Comment