Monday, December 22, 2014

Day 721: Music, Music, Everywhere

Editing a huge amount of video for the Band Trip also means that I've spent my fair share of time trying to find the perfect music for each segment. I've had a bunch of people compliment me on my ability to find just that perfect song for each section of video I edit, regardless of if it's at Disney or not. I suppose I have to agree with them. Going back and watching the various segments is pretty awesome, especially when the music works really well.

However, there's also a downside to editing the video. I never really get to "See" it. You know? I spend all my time editing the video, and I can definitely be proud of it, but I never get to experience it for the first time, because I created it. I have my favorite moments here and there, but it's not the same thing everyone else will see when the entire video is completed.

The other downside is by the time it's finished it will be at least 45 minutes long, and that means I have to sit through 45 minutes of video multiple times. As if I haven't seen some of this enough already. This must be what it's like to be in television or film production.

Anyway, it takes quite a bit to find those perfect songs, and honestly I'm not even sure how I do it. The only way I really know how to express it is that I spend a ton of time listening to music. I'm always listening to music. ALWAYS. Right now it's the soundtrack to Spaceship Earth, as odd and ironic as that is, simply because I've been listening to a lot of Disney Parks music today. With an upcoming trip it feels right. But normally I'm listening to Pandora or iTunes radio or a new soundtrack or something or other, and eventually you just come up with the right song. Occasionally, the right song will appear out of no where (I happened to hear a song on the NASA channel the other day on TV and made sure to figure out what it was because it just felt like a song I could use for something in the future), and sometimes you'll search for ages before finding just that right one. I have a playlist of all the possible music for the band trip video on iTunes, and I continuously add to it as I go, to the point where now I've only use around 8 songs, but the playlist has over 30 various tracks.

It's a long process.

Now, if only I could figure out a way to fit the following song into the Band Trip Video...



Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on December 29 due to Holidays and Computer Issues).

No comments:

Post a Comment