Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 205: Mickey's Toontown Fair

The other day I talked about when Full House went to Disney World, and one of the things that I love about that episode is how much Disney really has changed. It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years since they visited (Yes, that episode premiered in 1993!), although when you watch it, it certainly seems like it HAS been that long.

Even since I was a little girl (my first trip was around three years after the Tanner Family's), Disney World has been a world of change, just like it should be, and one of the things that really has changed a lot now, is the area that I grew up with as Mickey's Toontown Fair. Of course, it's now the Storybook Circus area of New Fantasyland, but it was other things before that too! Still, I always remember it as the area where you could meet Mickey and all his friends (because when I was really little you could still meet Mickey in his house like you do at Disneyland!)

The basis of the area though, was a County Fair, and that's where this comes into play with my everyday life. This week is OUR County fair, and I enter in it each and every year, much like Minnie seems to do (her house was just loaded with awards for all the wonderful things she created!) Of course, several of my projects had to do with Disney, so I figured it made more than enough sense to share with you, especially since everything is judged now!

First off, I had several photography entries, all of which got firsts. Four of them were nominated for merit or state too, but none were chosen (honestly the photography program at our fair is kind of wacko. Like no joke). As you can kind of see from the picture below, several of them were taken at Disney World! Points to the person who figures out which ones (and no...you can't guess if I told you at the fair!).


(P.S. This may or may not be a trick question!)

Anyway, next on my list of fair entries was my drawing! Now, I've only done something in the arts and crafts category a few times, but last year, after seeing the entries that went to state fair, I decided that I wanted to do a drawing of Spaceship Earth. And so, I set out to do just that, a drawing of Spaceship Earth. Honestly, I feel awful for the person who had to do all the sketches of that attraction, because it took absolutely FOREVER. That's ok though because it got a MERIT AWARD! I was super duper happy about this because it's one of two that I REALLY wanted to get such an award!!!


And finally, I had foods, although I'm too lazy to try and find pictures (honestly I'm pretty sure they're on mom's camera, and she's gone at the moment, with the camera!). I entered two things, and BOTH were somewhat inspired by Disney! The first was a donut, which was actually a recipe from one of the Disney sites. It was like Apple Cider Donuts or something like that, and then they had a chocolate glaze. Actually, you're supposed to make them look like Mickey Mouse heads, but I didn't exactly have the correct pan to make the ears. Oh well! Still got a first! And then I had Sugar/Dairy Free Lemon Blackberry Cream Puffs! Sound's good, right!?! Well they should because they too got one of those beautiful yellow ribbons! This one was inspired by the spectacular Lemon, Sugar/Gluten Free Cream Puffs at Be Our Guest! Of course, I made it dairy free instead of gluten free because, well, I am lactose intolerant! 

Overall the fair went really well this year. All blue ribbons, meaning all first places, with two merit awards! That's honestly the best I have ever done at the fair, and a great way to end my run there! And you know, I think Minnie Mouse would be pretty proud!

Here's today's Disney History: 1966: The New Orleans Square area opens at Disneyland, California, with a ceremony presided over by Walt Disney and the real mayor of New Orleans, Victor Schiro. The 3-acre site, the first new themed land added to Disneyland after its 1955 opening, has cost $18 million to build. It is the only land in the Magic Kingdom to debut without a single attraction. Although filled with shops and restaurants, the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion attractions won't open until 1967 and 1969. 

Have a magical day!



No comments:

Post a Comment