Friday, December 6, 2013

Day 340: Sleigh Ride

Now, initially I intended to have a video to go along with this blog post, and you'll understand why in a minute, but silly be, being caught up in finals, forgot to upload the video when I was at college. And we all know what happens when I try to upload a video here at home. So I guess there won't be a video to go along with this, well...other than you should hit play on this one.


So here's the explanation as to why there's a post about Sleigh Ride, other than the fact that it's the holiday season and this is one of my all time favorite Christmas songs. 

A year ago, back when I was still in High School, our band performed the original Sleigh Ride written by Leroy Anderson, which, if you clicked play, is what you're listening to right now. We performed it and it was great. Except this song gets stuck in your head like no other. Last November I went to Walt Disney World for Thanksgiving, which isn't exactly abnormal for my family (although as time goes on our trip schedule times get weirder and weirder). Anyways, we're down there and I'm celebrating a week off of playing Sleigh Ride, because as much as I love the song, sometimes the oboe part is just too much to handle...at least when you're in high school and tuning is the hardest thing ever. 

But Sleigh Ride followed me. Turns out that I never noticed it before, but Sleigh Ride plays pretty much continuously at Disney World during the holidays. When I was sitting at Epcot all I wanted was to hear some nice Future World soundtrack music, like Innoventions or something. You know, the stuff that I listen to on a regular basis here. But instead I got Sleigh Ride. 

When I found out that we were playing Sleigh Ride for Wind Ensemble for our Christmas Concert I got excited. VERY excited. I mean, I would be playing alto this time, and the jazz section on alto is just great. And then all the memories of high school and Disney and the song just came rushing back. It was nice and annoying at the same time. 

Ultimately I really did enjoy playing Sleigh Ride again, and I find myself missing the Christmas music at Disney. I tend to find that my favorite Christmas songs are the same ones that they play at Disney World during the holidays...so that's actually probably one of the reasons Sleigh Ride is one of my favorites!

Here's today's Disney History: 2012: Walt Disney World marks the grand opening of New Fantasyland at its Magic Kingdom park with actress Ginnifer Goodwin (who portrays Snow White on the ABC series Once Upon a Time). The largest expansion in the parks' 41-year history (Expanding from 10 acres to 21), new attractions include Under the Sea- Journey of the Little Mermaid, Enchanted Tales with Belle and a duplicate Dumbo, the Flying Elephant. The expansion also features Beast's Castle, which sits atop Be Our Guest restaurant, and Storybook Circus (which has been open to guests since March). More Fantasyland additions are coming next year, including Princess Fairytale Hall. 

Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on December 18 due to finals).

No comments:

Post a Comment