Saturday, December 21, 2013

Day 355: A Few of My Favorite Things: Christmas Edition

The last time I did a Favorite Things Post, I got really hungry while talking about some of my favorite Disney Foods. This time things are going to get a bit more Jolly, since I'm talking about some of my favorite Christmas traditions and events at Walt Disney World.

I've been to Disney World during the Holiday season several times now. I remember going as a kid and going to the Christmas Party for the first time (ok, I honestly don't remember the first time, but I remember going to it when I was still a kid). I remember when the Osborne Lights were still on Residential Street, with all the houses completely lit up like it was when the tradition first started. And I remember, of course, the many many Christmas Trees that decorate the resort. And the giant Gingerbread house, of course. There's that too. But we'll get to that.

Favorite Christmas Tree:




While I absolutely adore all the Christmas Trees at Walt Disney World, I'm pretty sure my absolute favorite takes it's place at Disney's Animal Kingdom Main Gate. I love all the different ornaments on it, and how they're this perfect mixture of Mickey Mouses and the animals that you can find in the park. Honorable mentions for Favorite Christmas Tree include the Tree at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa as well as the Tree on the opposite side of the Lagoon outside Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Favorite Wreath:




There are a lot of wreaths all around Walt Disney World. Big ones, small ones, hanging ones, ones attached to walls...and this giant one. While there are many many wreaths that line the halls o the Disney Resorts and Parks, this giant Mickey that hangs on the Contemporary is most certainly my favorite. I love walking through inside the resort and standing and just looking up at the giant thing. I have it in plenty of pictures from over the years too.

Favorite Christmas Decorations:




Seriously, this one is really hard. All of the decorations at the resorts are beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Each fits in perfectly with the different themes of each resort, and that's why it's so difficult to pick a favorite. I mean, I love the Gingerbread House at the Grand, but I also love the different chocolate decorations over at the Yacht & the Beach Clubs. They have beautiful work put into them. So I guess those three tie for this one. Gosh a shingle from the Gingerbread House sounds good right now.

Favorite Holiday Addition:


I wasn't really sure what to title thing, but my favorite of the "Holiday Specific Things" would have to be the Illuminations "Peace on Earth" tag. I remember a number of years ago when I went in December instead of November, and every night you knew exactly what time it was because at 9:15 or so there would just be thing giant bang letting you know that all the extra fireworks went off. And you could hear it from just about everywhere on property. I mean, I love Holiday Wishes as well, but this just makes me happy.

Favorite Holiday Special Event:



For this one you've got just about three options, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, The Candlelight Processional and the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. Now, if you had asked me a couple years ago what my favorite was, it would most certainly be different from the answer I am about to give you. I'm going to have to pick the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. When I was a kid it was the whole street, with all the houses, and I really miss having all of that, but I do really love Carol of the Bells, and when I went last year to the lights it was just kind of cool to see people in the street dancing and stuff. It was cute, and that's one of the reasons that I think it's gone up on my list.

Honestly that's about all I can think about for categories of favorite holiday things. I guess you could add in Holiday Parade, but there's only two of them, and one of them you have to go to the special party to see. Overall, I just love Christmas at Walt Disney World, and I really can't wait for the day I get to go out to California to see Disneyland at Christmsatime too, because I'm pretty sure it's just as amazing out there!

Here's today's Disney History: 1936: A baby girl named Sharon Mae is born. Less than two weeks later she will be adopted by Walt Disney and his wife Lillian.

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on December 30 due to time restrictions).


No comments:

Post a Comment