Sunday, December 22, 2013

Day 356: The Magic of Christmas

Everyone has their Christmas traditions, and I'm no exception. Some people watch Elf every year, and some might go to a performance of The Nutcracker. For others it might be an entire day of putting up Christmas Decorations, and for those lucky people, it might be going to Walt Disney World or Disneyland for the holidays.

But for me, while I do watch Holiday movies like Elf, one of my favorites, or National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, there is one that is absolutely ALWAYS watched, and that's my old VHS from Walt Disney World called "The Magic of Christmas at Walt Disney World." It's from like the 90's or something, but I watched it all the time as a little kid because Disney is just awesome at Christmas, and I didn't exactly have a ton of WDW footage at my finger tips back then.



The film is really made well, I mean, for one of these old promotional video types of things. It starts with a trip to North Pole, where Santa is answering a letter to a young girl, telling her all about the magic of Christmas at WDW. We see Mickey and the entire gang in the Christmas warehouse, grabbing everything they need. So the characters, including a particular pirate with a waxed mustache and perm, decorate the entire resort. From the Magic Kingdom to Port Orleans, and then onto Epcot, they decorate everything.

I think one of my favorite things about this particular video is the amount of old characters we have in it. I mean, it's not everyday that you see Robin Hood and Brer Bear and the Crocodile from Peter Pan (much to Hook's annoyance). Plus the music is seriously awesome in this thing. I just like sit here and dance around while they sing "Christmastime." It makes me so happy.

And then they show Christmas Trees and all the old shows that used to be there. I've seen plenty of Disney Christmases in my time, and I do remember the shows, like the one in the theater that used to be in Tomorrowland that's now a parking lot. There used to be shows everywhere, and now we have Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, which is something I've been to a whole bunch of times. I can't even remember how many times. So Christmas is great at Disney, in general.

Did you know that Disney World used to have a live nativity scene too? That's what's on the video right now and I really felt it was worth mentioning. I don't think I've ever really seen a live one before, unless you count the whole Sunday School Christmas Play, which I've been in for years and years (and am still in, which is fine by me except for when I'm supposed to be a twin excited about presents that my 'twin' isn't quite so excited about).

There's so much music in this and I sing along to all of it. And speaking of Christmas Music, I find it really interesting that the Candlelight used to be held at Magic Kingdom and only for like two days. Now it's for an entire month and features celebrity readers like Neil Patrick Harris...who I WILL SEE SOMEDAY. I missed him last year by...well, actually, we were both at Disney at the same time. He was just in Magic Kingdom while I was at Epcot. So close.

And of course they show the Parade that we all get to see on TV...even if it was filmed in early December and not actually on Christmas. That's fine by me, as it made a holiday tradition for my family for many years. Lately we haven't watched it, but that's going to change for me this year. I WILL be watching the Disney Christmas Day Parade on TV on Christmas Morning. And it will be awesome.

Only a few days left until Christmas!

Here's today's Disney History: 2009: At Disneyland approximately 500 tuba players take the stage in Downtown Disney to perform Christmas Carols for holiday shoppers.

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was published on December 29, due to time restraints). 

No comments:

Post a Comment